With spring as the season with the most comfortable weather, you can’t miss out on the opportunity to accomplish your home maintenance checklist. ‘Tis the best time to finish up your most important chores.
If you’re a northern folk, spring is finally the time to get outdoors after the long, cold months of winter. If you’re from the south, now is the time to perform household tasks comfortably before the hot months come soon. So whether you’re from the north or the south, there’s no better time to perform your home maintenance tasks than this spring season.
Spring season officially started on the 1st day of March and is to end on May 31st. You’ve got enough amount of time to do whatever you need to do this season. With that, here are indoor and outdoor home maintenance tasks you shouldn’t miss this Spring:
Spring Home Maintenance Tasks
• Inspect your attic and check if there is sufficient insulation and ventilation to make sure moisture won’t get trapped inside.
• Check your hot water heaters and see if there are deposits on the bottom. To make sure your hot water heaters are functioning well, drain them at least twice per year.
• Check your basement walls and floors for leaks and dampness. Inspect where the source of humidity is and address it immediately.
• Dust off and vacuum your sofas and other upholstery, their undersides included.
• Clean your bathroom exhaust fans thoroughly by washing and vacuuming. However, you must take note that the exhaust cover has to be dry before being replaced.
• De-gunk your faucets, showerheads, faucet aerators, and other similar fixtures by letting them soak in a 50:50 water and vinegar solution for at least an hour. After that, use warm water for rinsing.
• Test your smoke detectors and alarms. Make sure they are still working and change the batteries if necessary. This is one important precautionary measure to stay safe in the coming summer months aka fire season.
• Clean your dryer vent by removing all the lint that accumulated inside it. Accumulated lint in dryer vents causes about 15, 000 house fires each year.
• Give your home a detox. Throw or donate things you don’t use anymore to free more space into your home for more important things.
• Clean anything you can find inside your home. Make your home smell and feel fresh inside and out.
Spring Home Maintenance Tasks
• Check the roof for loose materials, missing shingles, cracks, rust build-ups, etc.
• In the case roof repairs are needed, do the repairs immediately – regardless if they are big or small. For help and your safety, contact licensed roofing contractors.
• Turn back on your exterior faucets and check if there are leaks.
• Clean and clear your gutters from fallen leaves and other debris. Also, inspect your gutters for cracks, rust, etc. and have them repaired immediately.
• Give your trees and shrubs a trim. Trimming your trees before their leaves start to grow will help prevent moisture build-up on your roof and will get rid of raccoons and squirrels.
• Check and inspect foundation vents for screen damages or holes, accumulated debris, etc. Make sure that air is circulating well in your vents to prevent the build-up of molds.
• Remove or replace previously installed weather stripping on your doors and windows if necessary.
• Check your exterior paint if there’s any need for repair or repainting. To easily see chips on your house’s exterior paint, pressure wash your home’s exterior.
• Have your air-conditioning units checked and serviced to reduce your electricity bills.
• Have a keen eye on all parts of your home and make sure to immediately address any needed repairs caused by the previous season.
Before planning your summer getaways and vacations, make sure your home is clean and safe inside and out. This way, you’ll have the peace of mind of enjoying your future summer trips knowing your home is clean, safe, and secured.
More than that, there’s no better season to fulfill your home maintenance checklist than this Spring!